9.24.2012

Giving New Life to a Tired Sofa



I hated my old sofa.


Serious, hate.


Even the kitties hated it and showed their hate on the front corners.


Repeatedly.


I needed something to fool the cats into liking it and 

I needed something I did not need to be fooled into liking.


I looked around and and hated everything I could afford.


Until I found this....




Yep, it was tired looking.





Yep, the stain was faded and chipped and just plain ugly.




A close up of the ugly....UGLY!


But I thought it could be revived...maybe.

So, I sanded off what was left of the stain.



I had a vision...

So I painted on dark espresso stain.


It was so dry it sucked it up and no wiping the excess was necessary.




After 2 days of staining....it gleamed!





The original cushions were so ugly I wouldn't even show you.


Yes, they were that bad!








The new cushion covers were made from drop cloths from Lowes.


Not by me...oh hell no!


I learned long ago I have no sewing skills...lol!





My Mom has amazing sewing skills and made all the covers from my vision...


...which was not hers...


but she made it work!


It is exactly what I wanted and needed!

And it fools the cats!


Bonus!







Total cost of sofa redo:


Ugly sofa from Goodwill:   $90  (yes that was a leap of faith for $90!)


Stain and brushes from Home Depot:  $15


2 cotton drop clothes from Lowes:   $24


My time and labor:   free


Mom's time and labor:   free (love you!)


Total cost for new dream sofa:   $129


Nice!




Thanks for stopping by!

 Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs 
to see what they are up to:























22 comments:

  1. Great vision with wonderful results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it came out great! Like the dark stain you picked, show off the details nicely. Your Mom did a great job with the cushions too! I'd say money well spent. Thanks so much for stopping by, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh!!! This came out so great, I love the pillows too.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome redo, love it!!! Love the cushions, you are so lucky to have a Mom that sews so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $129 and a cat proof, pretty sofa! Love the price and love the look! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that sofa! I would have bought it up quick too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a brave and genius fixer upper! Your Goodwill find was just a diamond in the rough. It looks fabulous and your drop cloth slipcovers are so striking alongside the rich blue cushions.
    I salute you on a job well done, my friend!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out great! Fabulous job! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sofa! It looks great the way you stained it and with the new cushions. It's just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! You and your mom make a great team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stain and new cushions. Looks great with the pillows and curtains. Visiting from POWW. -Angela @ Mrs. White Twig & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! it looks stunning- what a huge difference! love the classic look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful. Love that sofa now.
    So nice and not expensive. I love it when an idea and a budget can work together...puts a smile on your face. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! Looks straight on of a furniture catalog :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree it looks like it is out of a furniture catalog and would love to have one just like it for my sunroom, wonderful job it is lovely and for a great price! L

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice update! I would be delighted for you to link to Potpourri Friday, in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I featured your pretty sofa today at Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The sofa looks great! That was so nice of your mom to do the drop covers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Great vision with wonderful results!" agreed in full here. I think this sofa is perfect for my mckinley hill condo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It really looks different. You have turned it great. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can give new life to my tired sofa. Useful post

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!